Re: Carl XIII and Bernadotte
User logged in as Robert
Adoption: Carl XIV Bernadotte, younger son of Henri Bernadotte, was adopted by king Carl XIII of Sweden.
The adoption didn't make him heir to the throne. He was elected by Parliament.
True, although the adoption gave him a big push to the throne.
No. He was elected by Parliament on 21 August 1810 and was adopted by the King in November. Bernadotte was not a candidate that the King preferred.
So, after the death of the duke of S.Holstein, who was Carl XIII's candidate ?
Why couldn't him impose his will ?
Did Parliament force him to adopt Nernadotte ?
I imagined things were smoother between C.XIII and his successor .
Most of all he wanted his great-nephew, the former Crown Prince Gustaf. He was not in the position to impose his will. Since Gustaf wasn't acceptable by Parliament, I think Carl XIII would have preferred someone more Royal, but he accepted Bernadotte and Bernadotte always showed the King great respect.
Message Thread | This response ↓|
- Younger sons on thrones - Jane 25/1/2021, 13:42:32
- Re: Younger sons on thrones - Johan 25/1/2021, 20:40:27
- Re: Younger sons on thrones - Robert 25/1/2021, 22:27:17
- Re: Younger sons on thrones - Josť 25/1/2021, 22:29:47
- Re: Younger sons on thrones - Josť 25/1/2021, 22:37:26
- Re: Younger sons on thrones - John W 25/1/2021, 23:35:40
- Different succession laws - Jane 26/1/2021, 1:36:28
- Re: Younger sons on thrones - Josť 26/1/2021, 22:02:09
- Re: Younger sons on thrones - Robert 27/1/2021, 15:38:31
- Regicide - Josť 27/1/2021, 16:08:29
- Re: Younger sons on thrones - Josť 27/1/2021, 16:30:17
- Regicide, suicide, fluke, disease, you name it - Josť 27/1/2021, 16:46:00
- Naples and Parma - Josť 29/1/2021, 15:14:02
- Portugal - 2 ex.: - Josť 30/1/2021, 13:02:52
- Mexico - Josť 30/1/2021, 13:07:04
- Belgium - Josť 30/1/2021, 13:09:09
- Russia - Jane 31/1/2021, 3:29:39
- King Haakon VII of Norway - Jane 29/1/2021, 13:39:00
« Back to index