The European Royals Message Board
[ Post a response | The European Royals Message Board ]
Re: Sovereign grandchildren
User logged in as manuel
Most interesting, Sancho IVís wife, Maria de Molina, was regent for her son Fernando IV and for her grandson Alfonso XI. Any other example in history?
Over the years, however, this would happen because of greater life expectancies.
It even happened in the middle ages as well, as many people started families when in their teens.
When Alfonso de la Cerda *should have* succeeded his grandfather as Castilian sovereign, his grandmother Castilian Queen Violante was alive. Alfonso's first cousin Ferdinando IV eventually succeeded in Castile when grandmother Violante was alive. As did Violante's grandson Giovanni, sovereign Margrave of Montferrato. In addition, Giovanni's sister had become Roman Empress (Consort) under the more Greek name of Irene, being the first of Violante's grandchildren to occupy a throne. And there was also granddaughter Isabel of Castile, who became Queen Consort of her grandmother's native Aragon during the latter's lifetime.
Message Thread | This response ↓|
- Sovereign grandchildren - Jane 8/6/2021, 6:10:36
- Re: Sovereign grandchildren - William F 8/6/2021, 7:28:42
- Re: Sovereign grandchildren - William F 8/6/2021, 8:01:37
- Re: Sovereign grandchildren - Steven 8/6/2021, 13:52:30
- Re: Sovereign grandchildren - manuel 9/6/2021, 18:41:20
- Re: Sovereign grandchildren in Portugal - Josť 8/6/2021, 15:15:47
- Re: Sovereign grandchildren - Josť 8/6/2021, 15:38:08
- Sovereign grandchildren - Forrest 10/6/2021, 11:22:32
- Sweden - Robert 10/6/2021, 12:48:52
- Re: Sovereign grandchildren - Greece and Spain 10/6/2021, 18:26:13
- Re: Sovereign grandchildren - William F 10/6/2021, 18:30:32
- Re: Sovereign grandchildren - William F 10/6/2021, 18:59:57
- Bulgaria - Josť 12/6/2021, 3:49:20
« Back to index