[ Post a Response | Surgery / Reconstruction Board ]
Rads & expansions
Posted by Scooter on 6/28/2011, 10:38 pmUser logged in as post
Today I saw a Rad Onc who recommended I have 6 weeks of radiation.but the decision is up to me. I'm kind of bummed. I thought having a mastectomy would obviate the need, as I had DCIS. The concern is my age, tumor size 6.3cm and grade 3, and I'm HER2+. My margins were clear but narrow 2mm. No lymph node involvement. Now, I don't know if I should continue to have fills before radiation or wait until after? I got home too late to phone my PS for clarity. I also
have to decide if the percentage decrease for recurrence is worth 6 weeks of rads. 10-14 % recurrence on margins of less than 2mm without radiation compared to 3% with larger margins and no rads. Of course i'm right in the middle of these statistics. I'm hoping some wise women out there have an answer .