As you may remember I "almost" had this done and changed my mind 1 week before, and went with expqnders, if you are worried implants & rads do rads 1st then surgery if you can?,
I too heard lots of experiences and wanted advice this is the bottom line..Some Love it and some Hate it, you really need to look at your lifestyle and make a decision, heres what I know and what swayed my decision to do Implants..
1) It is a much larger surgery about 8 hrs (this bothered me)
2) While you do get a tummy tuck + you also get a longer recovery time, each person I spoke to said they couldnt stand straight for 1 month that was across the board (I am self employed 6-8 wks recovery doesnt work for me)
3) You will be unable to go larger then a B, unless you decide later down the road to get implants (which kinda defeats the purpose of the TRAM) I did not want to be smaller I am a C and wished to remain a C)
4) If you have back problems, this isn't advised. I have a bad back and my Breast Surgeon said NOT a good idea..by cutting stomach muscles you weaken your abdomen and this can make back problems much worse!
5) If you are very active this may not be the right surgery for you i.e. you will never be able to do another sit-up, or things that really use the core muscles as they are cut, there is also a risk of Hernias with TRAM
6) While our breasts will lose feeling with both procedures (with TRAM you lose sensation in more areas,abdomen and entire chest area
7) I feel cosmetically you get a more natural and better outcome with implants, my g/f had TRAM and has a circle scar around her breasts and feels they are just like round mounds no fullness in her upper breast like a natural breast and wears a extra padded bra as her boobs are small, she didnt have to much fat...I have fullness coming from my collarbone gradually larger and my scar is a fine line across my breast much more natural looking (then hers) this may not be everybodys but this is how she feels about her breasts now and she said if she had to do it again she would do implants?...
No decision is wrong, you must decide what is most important to you and what will fit your lifestyle. I'm just telling you what swayed my decision and why I made my choice/changed my mind, talk to people and see if this is right for you..
Bottom Line for me was: Less Risk, shorter recovery, not worsening my already crappy back and a C Cup =)My Plastic was shoving this TRAM down my throat I NEVER really wanted to do it, Its more $$ in their pocket...