Two things that need to be understood.
1. We are all, initially, formed by our parents and environment.
2. Whatever our genetic endowment is, it can, over time, be changed by a process of mutation brought about by prolonged exposure to alternatives; and yes, that is in our lifetime.
From the standpoint of childhood and growth, I believe that all children are born innocent in the sense that they will only become antisocial and even killers if their upbringing and environment is faulty.
Unfortunately, many people (even MPs) do not subscribe to this view and are quite happy to blame the child when it is really others who have formed that child's personality who are to blame.
Cavadino, P. [Ed.] Children Who Kill. Waterside Press, 1996. Writes in his paper:
"Many contributory factors that cause children to kill:
• physical and sexual abuse;
• exposure to repetitive or extreme violence, including the witnessing of it;
• parental mental disturbance;
• parental rejection;
• neurological abnormalities;
• drug or substance abuse;
• mental illness."
It is impossible to do justice to your question on a forum site but hopefully, this small contribution will help.
« Back to index | View thread »