Mike's visit to the movement disorder specialist at UCLA was the first in 8 months, because it seems there are F-ups everywhere, and if an appointment is missed, it takes 3 or 4 months to get another. Part of the problem was the "fellow" studying under the specialist finished her stint, and the new one had problems getting here. Anyway, he's here now, he's from Harvard, is probably in his late 20s. Very superior air. I hope I get to like him better than I do now, he will be Mike's doctor for the rest of his fellowship here.
Some of you on the board know our kitty, Ronan, 47th Warrior, is sick with several issues. Six months ago, he was walking funny and going down, and the vet thought nothing much about it, and he recovered about 95%. Then, last week, it happened again, but worse. The vet thought he'd had a slight stroke, took blood, sent him home to await results. In a few hours, he was worse, so we took him back. He was sent to an animal emergency hospital, where many tests were done stat, and it was determined he has a blood clot in his heart, he is forming these clots, he is hyperthyroid, his blood pressure is too high, he had no potassium or magnesium in his system, his kidney are not terrific, and he has a large tumor on his adrenals. There is a 50-50 chance as to whether it is malignant or benign, but a biopsy is risky, and was not advised unless, if found malignant, we were ready to do a surgery to remove it, which is even more risky, no promises, and costs $8,000. We were in conference with the doctors several times a day as tests came back, and followed their suggestion to treat what we know, and see if the prescribed meds can correct what's causing his problems. Ronan will be on a lot of meds for the rest of his life. He will have to be closely watched. Oh, and by the way, a tech made a mistake in reading the instructions. He gave him 3.5 times the amount of blood thinner he was supposed to get for the blood clot. They kept him an extra two days to watch for any resultant bleeding, if it had happened they would have had to transfuse him. Each overnight is $1,000, but they paid for the ones they caused with the overdose. So far, it has cost my daughter $4,000. Meds are being converted today to liquid in a compounding pharmacy to make them easier to administer. That will be further expense. And he will be going back for follow-up shortly. I don't think the full impact of what we're up against has sunk in. Right now, we just want to help Roney.
« Back to index