Director of Band Evaluation
Name of Director Date
Name of Evaluator
The following scale is used for marking each statement:
5 – Clearly Outstanding
4 – Exceeds Expectations
3 – Demonstrates Effective Level of Competency
2 – Demonstrates Adequate Level of Competency, but Needs Some Improvement
1 – Demonstrates Unacceptable Level of Competency, and Needs Substantial Improvement
I. Program Planning _____
1. Directs high school instrumental performers, including marching band, orchestra, concert band, soloist and ensembles.
2. Establishes performance requirements, enforces academic requirements and verifies each student’s eligibility to participate in band.
3. Provides for band participation at extracurricular events including concerts, football games, pep rallies, parades and UIL activities.
4. Arranges transportation, lodging and meals for out-of-town events.
5. Complies with federal and state laws, State Board of Education rules, UIL rules and board policy in band area.
6. Supports band booster club activities.
7. Obtains and uses evaluative findings (including student achievement data) to determine program effectiveness and ensure that program renewal is continuous and responds to student needs.
8. Recommends policies to improve program.
II. Budget and Inventory _____
1. Administers budget and ensures that programs are cost effective and funds are prudently managed
2. Compiles budgets and cost estimates based on documented program needs
3. Initiates purchase orders and bids in accordance with budgetary limitations and district guidelines
4. Forwards invoices/purchase orders to business office for payment according to district policy
5. Maintains a current inventory of supplies/equipment and recommends disposal and replacement when necessary
6. Manages activity funds to ensure that transactions and accounts are maintained in accordance with district policy and state law
7. Oversees process of cleaning, repairing, and storing all band equipment.
III. Instruction _____
1. Develops and implements plans for instrumental music program and shows written evidence of preparation as required.
2. Prepares lessons that reflect accommodations for individual student differences.
3. Presents subject matter according to guidelines established by Texas Education Agency, board policies and administrative regulations.
4. Plans and uses appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned.
5. Conducts ongoing assessments of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
6. Creates an environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social and emotional development of students.
IV. Student Management _____
1. Maintains high expectations for student behavior and enforces student discipline in accordance with Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
2. Accompanies and supervises students on out-of-town trips.
3. Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
V. Communication _____
1. Establishes and maintains open communication by conducting conferences with parents and students as needed.
2. Effectively disseminates information regarding important dates, times and schedules of upcoming events to students, parents, teachers, and administrators.
3. Establishes and maintains effective communication with assistant band directors.
4. Maintains professional relationship with colleagues, students, parents and community members.
VI. Personnel Management _____
1. Prepares, reviews and revises job descriptions for band department.
2. Recruits, selects, trains and supervises all band department personnel and makes sound recommendations about personnel placement, assignments, retention, discipline and dismissal.
3. Evaluates job performance of employees to ensure effectiveness.
4. Develops training options and/or improvement plans for employees to ensure exemplary operation in area of band.
Overall Rating _____
Band Director’s Signature Date
Evaluator’s Signature Date