2. Lead by example but don't lecture or preach.
3. Set expectations and move them in that direction without them even knowing.
4. Don't lecture or preach about it and certainly don't berate them or shame them into trying to be something they may not care about.
5. Just because you think mediocre is not okay doesn't mean the community does or that it even is, (Maybe your perception and perspective is skewed or not in line with their values).
6. Different folks have different values and standards. An average football team or an average band doesn't mean less value in a people or community.
7. Tap into what you see as their above standard attributes to measure your evaluation and to find ways to motivate and understand the community.