1) It is nearly impossible to have a family or a hobby and be a director at a large 5A or 6A HS.
2) We are charging more and more for band fees because we are pushing the limits more and more in the HS Marching Band Field. This is excluding students and turning off parents
3) The amount of time required to be in the HS band is increasing because we are pushing the limits more and more. This is excluding students and turning off parents
4) large HS bands are only able to keep assistants for 1-2 years and most head directors are leaving the field after working at the large HSs.
5) MS is being valued less because of the demand at the HS. This is hurting retention from MS to HS across the State of Texas
6) The hiring process becomes less and less fair. Jobs are given out months before they are even posted. I hear of head directors meeting outside of school to have side interviews before the real ones happen
7) I have noticed that Percussion directors at the HS level are leaving in big numbers.
The more and more money, time, electronics, props, etc. that the HS band requires, the worse our retention and staffing will become.
I am very concerned.