1. Are amazed that people want a life outside of band and to not work untold hours for free.
2. Are not adaptable to having a different human beings teaching, with their own valid ideas-"Cogs in a machine."
3. Are unwilling or unable to receive input from anyone they consider "below" them, no matter the validity of the suggestion.
4. Don't realize the TEAM player in them isn't a member of the team, but would rather be a dictator.
5. See #1.
6. Have unrealistic expectations (aka DON'T KNOW THEIR KIDS)
7. Again, see #1.
8. See #3.
Any situation that frequently turns around assistant directors is toxic from the top down. Period.