As a band director who was married to a soldier in the army band, here were some of the perks and not-perks I had:
1. Got a lot of music when a division band had to give it away or pitch it.
2. Help just about when I needed it - performances, sectionals, even help going over some school instruments to see what repairs were needed.
3. Having to job hunt all too frequently
4. Lots of single parenthood during deployments
5. inconvenient medical care - because teachers don't have it hard enough to try and take care of themselves and do the job
6. The opportunity to make great friends of colleagues - in so many different places.
I've always joked that band is a paramilitary operation given how it functions - particularly at high school. Kids crave structure even though they constantly push against he boundaries you put up - that is part of growing up too.