You would be surprised at how many specialized 200k degrees leave college starting at 40k if/until you can advance to the specialized fields. How many theater actors take that waiter/waitress gig until they land that role that will pay the bills? How many musicians take the elementary teaching gig or lesson gig waiting on their big record drop? How many doctors end up working in county clinics instead of the big med center working their way into a surgical job if they managed to get in and through medical school?
I agree that for most students most degrees can come from a variety of places so students can go for the money. But there are exceptions. More than I ever thought until I started living them. I heard a director selling "scholarships" to a beginner student and I had to bite my tongue. It's like coaches telling parents their kids will get an athletic scholarship. 1% will. The other 99% won't.