1) make it a brass only mariachi. (Theyíre not giving you new money to make it happen, gotta use what you have.)
2) if you have kids that want to sing, choose traditional songs and have them learn by watching YouTube. Make brass arrangements that work for it.
3) if kids want to play violin, invite them to purchase them. Be open with the deficits you have in your abilities to teach strings. Same story with the gambas.
4) have fun with it. Itís not the kidís fault if it stinks
5) make a reasonable PowerPoint presentation that shows why this will not be of high quality. Include a budget that you believe would be absolutely necessary to make it a good program. Include teachers into this! They need an actual mariachi guy, string program, guitar program and choral program.
6) be upfront with your love for your band program and that being your reason to be there.