I believe you would be in the minority of the under 40 crowd but I could be mistaken. In response your points - I would like to offer this counterpoint.
- US Bands and BOA are not wide spread enough the UIL system is already in place and with UIL already going to Area, what would one more week for the few bands that make it hurt anything.
- Football has exhibition games all the time, they are not 100% beholden to UIL. However the system is already in place and works. Though I wouldn't mind seeing less teams make the playoffs. Too many districts allow literally everyone in the playoffs.
- Maybe and it's a big maybe, it might cost more to go to state for band than it does an entire playoff run in football. Remember the cheer and band goes to those games too. Haveing gone to SMC the ammount of money spent is largely up to the director. I am not saying it is cheap, but it doesn't have to be cost prohibitive.
- They don't need charters (they are not required), but hey football sometimes gets them too.
- Attendance dollars are not effected AT ALL by students missing on a school related activities.
- Marching band is over the first week of November (in typical years), SMC only adds on another week for those that advance. There is still 6-7 more months of school to do whatever you want.
- I never said anything about making it 100% marching band, that was never even part of the conversation. The bands that got to SMC overwhelmingly also have incredible Concert Bands, I cannot think for the life of me how a band capable of making SMC would in ANY way be negatively impacted for C&CR.
- Honor band prep cannot begin until Dec 1st, Marching band is over well before then even if you make SMC. Will not be affected.
- and, the band does not have to participate. Let each school make the choice.