- Mandate a mid-August start date between the 10th and 17th
- Mandate an end date no later than May 28.
- Allow bad weather makeup days in during the school year, but encourage districts to put the m at the end after the last day of instruction. This way, if a district has enough minutes they don't have to use them.
- Mandate schools add two additional weeks after the end of the school year for any missed time due to stay at home orders. Call them "Stay at home makeup days". Again, they would only need to use those if they needed to recoup the minutes.
- Mandate that Spring Break be listed as an optional break and may be needed to recoup missed instruction time due to stay at home orders.
This causes less disruption in the school calendar for something that will eventually go away and allows schools with enough minutes to use the extra days as they see fit. This lines up more with the idea of DOI since this designation was created because different districts have different needs. Also, if your districts are like my district you wouldn't need to use many of those days to meet your minutes. I calculated this year that the HS and elementary levels had enough minutes to cover 15 missed days of instruction. Middle schools had enough to cover 17 days.