The European Royals Message Board
[ Post a response | The European Royals Message Board ]
Re: One that might have been
User logged in as JanEl
I read somewhere that his parents were opposed to the marriage because the two were too closely related. In fact, Rupprecht and Marie Gabrielle were only second cousins, once removed. Another source stated that his father was opposed because of her *modest* background -- being a member of the ducal branch of the Wittelsbachs. Evidently he preferred for his son to marry a princess from a foreign royal house.
If monarchy had not been abolished, and if she had survived her father-in-law, Duchess Marie Gabriele in Bayern might have become queen of Bavaria together with her husband king Rupprecht
Has there ever been a queen consort of a country who was born a princess of her native dynasty? Such a thing would have resulted from a cousin marriage. It could have happened in the UK, had the man we know in history who eventually became King George V married his first cousin Marie, Princess of Edinburgh, Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. Princess "Missy", however, acted strongly under the influence of her mother in rejecting his hand.
Despite the fact that he had been created into the Duke of York by then, second and direct in the line of succession to the throne (his older brother having died unmarried and without issue), the Duchess of Edinburgh worked to prevent the union. Her actions were simply out of spite against the British royal family (who were in favor of the match), since she had been made to accept a low rank in the royal court -- despite being the only daughter of Czar Alexander II of Russia.
Anyhow, I was wondering about other countries, and whether there have been native-born queens consort (not regnant).
Message Thread | This response ↓|
- Agnatic queens - Jane 20/9/2021, 1:54:21
- Re: Agnatic queens - Charles 20/9/2021, 2:13:35
- Re: Agnatic queens - Württemberg - Stefan 20/9/2021, 8:28:47
- Re: Agnatic queens - manuel 20/9/2021, 19:20:00
- Re: Agnatic queens - José 20/9/2021, 23:11:00
- Re: Agnatic queens - José 20/9/2021, 23:44:07
- Re: Agnatic queens - José 22/9/2021, 12:42:23
- Re: Agnatic queens - José 22/9/2021, 12:51:41
- One that might have been - José 27/9/2021, 12:22:05
- Two others - Jane 29/9/2021, 2:43:56
- Re: One that might have been - Jane 30/9/2021, 4:04:20
« Back to index