User logged in as Johan
Posted by Johan on 19/3/2020, 19:52:19, in reply to "Vasa?
I always understood that they themselves used that name for their Dynasty.
The Bernadottes married well and the current king is not only the heir of the line from Carl XIV Johan (=Jean Baptiste Bernadotte), he is also the heir general of Gustav IV. So even though the Bernadottes replaced the previous Holstein-Gottorp-Vasa line they managed to become the heirs of that line by the marriage of Gustav V to Victoria of Baden.
I have never understood why the Royal House that preceded the House of Bernadotte on the Swedish throne is so often called Vasa (or in your case Holstein--Vasa) on these boards. The House of Vasa became extinct in the male line in 1672 and its last member, Queen Christina, died in 1689.
Message Thread | This response ↓|
- Royals by conquest, adoption, or association - Jane 14/3/2020, 17:33:23
- Re: Royals by conquest, adoption, or association - William F 14/3/2020, 18:39:17
- Catherine I - José 14/3/2020, 20:34:24
- Sons of the Revolution - José 14/3/2020, 20:46:56
- Monaco - José 14/3/2020, 21:02:25
- Gustav I Vasa - José 14/3/2020, 21:11:48
- Re: Royals by conquest, adoption, or association - José 15/3/2020, 16:40:27
- King Henri I Christophe - José 15/3/2020, 16:52:11
- King Boris I - José 15/3/2020, 18:19:09
« Back to index