1. Königreich Preussen.
2. Königreich Bayern.
3. Königreich Sachsen.
4. Königreich Württemberg.
5. Grossherzogthum Baden.
6. Grossherzogthum Hessen und bei Rhein.
7. Grossherzogthum Mecklenburg-Schwerin.
8. Grossherzogthum Sachsen.
9. Grossherzogthum Mecklenburg-Strelitz.
10. Grossherzogthum Oldenburg.
11. Herzogthum Braunschweig-Lüneburg.
12. Herzogthum Sachsen-Meiningen.
13. Herzogthum Sachsen-Altenburg.
 14. Herzogthum Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha.
15. Herzogthum Anhalt.
16. Fürstenthum Schwarzburg-Sondershausen.
17. Fürstenthum Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt.
18. Fürstenthum Waldeck und Pyrmont.
19. Fürstenthum Reuss, ältere Linie.
20. Fürstenthum Reuss, jüngere Linie.
21. Fürstenthum Schaumburg-Lippe.
23. Freie und Hansestadt Lübeck.
25. Freie Hansestadt Bremen.
25. Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg.
: --Previous Message--
: Bit of technical question here, but perhaps
: someone knows. During the German Empire of
: 1871-1918, how was precedence determined
: among the various reigning princes and
: members of their houses? I have read in
: multiple places that it was a continuing
: source of indignation for non-Prussian
: German monarchs to be treated on diplomatic
: visits and such as vassals rather than
: reigning monarchs in their own right, but
: officially, if, say the kings of Bavaria and
: Saxony were both present, how was precedence
: determined? Was it by date of accession, or
: was there a specified table of precedence
: which determined the order regardless of the
: monarch's accession date? Also, how did it
: work for the family members other than the
: monarchs? Would a prince of Wurttemberg
: (Royal Highness) outrank the reigning Duke
: of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (Highness)? Thanks for
: any help.
: Just a guess but surely the Emperor first,
: then Kings (Bavaria, Wurttemberg, Saxony) in
: order of accession, then Grand Dukes
: likewise, then Dukes in the same manner,
: then reigning Princes (HMSH), then reigning
: Princes (HSH). I would guess that other
: members of ruling families would be ordered
: according to their rank: HIH, HRH, HGDH, HH,
: HMSH and HSH.
« Back to index