Edited by board administrator 12/14/2016, 9:18 am
Last night may have been the most peaceful and yet productive meetings we have had in years. For some inexpiable reason, everybody seemed to be on the same page. Here is what we all decided to do to make this league better.
Item #1. Decided to go with a 2-Division format. we have 17 teams (Charlies dropped out and two new teams are in; Romano Paving from the Fall League and Jared's Bullies from yesteryear). At first we were gonna have everybody play everybody and then thought it may be best to just have 2 divisions of 9 and 8, or 8 and 9. The 4 returning A teams: Rib-House, Bpt Beer, Smittys Inferno and Paragon are definite A-Division. The teams moving up from last year's C division: High Life Funeral Home, 3M, Trappe, CCI and CCMM are definite B division. We just have to figure out by what personnel each team has, on which 4 or 5 of these teams will be in A: Facenda, Depauls, Steppys, Nonna Rosa, Norr Rec, Gibbons, Jared's or Roman Paving. The others will go to B.
Item #2. Decided to stay with the double header format with all the teams. we will use 3 time slots (7:00, 8:00 and 9:00) on Mon-Thur and 4 slots on friday (10:00 being the fourth game). With 17 teams, it means 16 teams will play every week and ONE team only will get a bye. Each team will play the other teams in their division 2 double headers only, for a total of 28 games (8 teams) or 36 games (9 teams). The season will start a little earlier this year - in mid April. and the Regular Season will be over by Labor day. And I am sure Heels will get the playoffs done in 3 days .... lol.
Item #3. The Home Run Rule across the board will be 3 with a 2-up after that up to (hell, did we set a limit, maybe up to 5 or 6 or even unlimited, somebody clue me in, I probably was babbling with someone??)
Item #4. We will use ASA bats only in this league. No USSSA, no Senior bats. Everybody thought the ASA bats are hot enough that we don't need the other bats.
Item #5. It was voted that we will use the 6-12 foot arc pitching rule in Norristown ..... because of pitcher safety. The Mat will be Shortened to accommodate for the higher deeper pitches.
Item #6. It was voted Unanimously to NOT use the pickup player rule. Players may only play with ONE team during the season.
Item #7. Heels said we are using the ASA courtesy runner rule this year. Means anybody on the team that is in the dugout, whether they are in the game or not, may run once an inning for one person. Managers must be smart because if you throw someone out there to run and his turn at bat happens to come up and he is still on base ... he is out
Item #8. Whether one division has 9 and the other has 8 teams, or if both have 8, only top-6 make playoffs. #1 and #2 seeds get byes.
Item #9. We will use the same ball as last year, the Dudley ZN 52/300 Composite cover ball.
Item #10. Bridgeport will have a league this season. We will work very closely with them and guarantee that if any team wants to play in both leagues, there will be no conflicts. They will play double headers as well and use the same Bat rules as Norristown. Guys, if your team wants to play more Softball, I played in that league since Moses was a rookie, it is a great atmosphere there, the fields are great and it has always been a nice league. So, a team can play 2 nights a week and play 4 games per week. George and Pete were at the meeting, CCI is going to play in both leagues. Hopefully a couple more decide to do so, they already have 6-8 definite teams. Heels is gonna test bats and is getting stickers that say Norristown/Bridgeport 2017 to put on the bats. And Bridgeport, as Norristown does has the option to check bats periodically throughout the season. If you are interested in Bridgeport; go to these links and check out their league and facebook page at the links below.
I do not think I missed anything and if I did, I am sure someone will chime in and remind me. Thanks for all those who attended. And a special thanks to those who really expressed their opinions last night and came up with some great suggestions that were ultimately approved and will be used. Tom Oshinsky, Will Harmon, Chris Judge, Kyle Loeckner, Dave Powell, Andrew Celio, Jared Blair, Chris Carter, Kevin McCarthy, Nich Bucha, Wayne Stem and Jimmy Catania. Very productive Meeting. Thanks, Steve (and Heels).
PS- we will have another meeting in Jan to review this stuff and make any improvements to them. Any comments, please post them and as I always say, please be respectful in doing so.
« Back to index