Cream Cookie Sandwich Hearts
These pretty pink-sugar-encrusted hearts sandwiched together with red-currant jelly are perfect for Valentine’s Day. The secret to the cookies’ sparkly pink coating is sanding sugar colored with a small amount of cherry-pink powdered food coloring.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch of salt
1 1/4 cups pink sanding sugar, for rolling
3/4 cup red-currant jelly
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix flour, butter, cream, vanilla, and salt until smooth. Flatten dough into two equal discs, and wrap in plastic. Chill until firm, 2 to 3 hours.
2. Arrange rack in middle of oven. Heat oven to 325°. Line three baking sheets with Silpat baking mats or parchment paper.
3. On a well-sugared surface, roll out dough, one half at a time, to a 1/8-inch thickness, continuously sprinkling sugar over the dough while rolling. Using a 2-inch heart-shaped cutter, cut out 72 heart shapes. Place 24 cookies on each baking sheet. Chill all cookies until firm, about 10 minutes.
4. Bake cookies, one sheet at a time, until light golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
5. In a small bowl, stir jelly until smooth. Place jelly in a small pastry bag fitted with a #11 plain round tip, and pipe 1/2 teaspoon per cookie on half of the cookies. Place remaining cookies on top to form sandwiches.
Source is Mai
« Back to index
Responses are not allowed!
Create your own free message board!