Healthy Macaroni and Cheese
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups non-fat milk, hot, but not boiling
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
3/4 lb. macaroni noodles
1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF and spray a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
3. In a 2-quart saucepan, whisk the olive oil and flour together over medium heat. Cook until the mixture gives off a "nutty" aroma, about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the hot milk and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. Add the macaroni to the boiling water and cook until the pasta is al dente, about 7 or 8 minutes. Drain the pasta.
5. Pour the macaroni into the prepared casserole dish. Immediately pour the milk mixture over it and stir to combine. Sprinkle the grated cheddar cheese over the top and then sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the cheese.
6. Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until the edges are bubbling and the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Protein 17 g
Total Carbohydrate 51 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sodium 392 mg
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Percent Calories from Fat 25%
Percent Calories from Protein 18%
Percent Calories from Carbohydrate 57%
Source is Healthy Advantage
« Back to index
Responses are not allowed!
Create your own free message board!