Re: Irish Flag poll
Posted by Stranded Hatter on 12/8/2017, 12:03 pm, in reply to "Re: Irish Flag poll"
A lot of soldiers had differing attitudes after the war. My paternal grandfather had a great deal of respect for the Germans despite spending most of the war in a POW camp (he was captured at Dunkirk) and going on the forced marches through Poland as the Russians came. He hated some individuals but recognised most of them were the same as him and those interred with him.
Didn't like the SS though, and ended up terrified of big dogs for the rest of his life.
Don't know about my maternal grandfather. He was a marine and didn't speak at all about the war at all before he died when my mum was about 13; he didn't even keep his medals.
"Illness is neither an indulgence for which people have to pay,
nor an offence for which they should be penalised, but a misfortune,
the cost of which should be shared by the community"
Message Thread | This response ↓|
- Irish Flag poll - mark1977 11/8/2017, 6:09 pm [poll]
- Re: Irish Flag poll - Stocky 12/8/2017, 12:00 pm
- McIlroy... - Rustybar 12/8/2017, 11:44 am
- Re: Irish Flag poll... Time for one of these me finks.... - McHatterIV 12/8/2017, 11:00 am
- Re: Irish Flag poll - Biggles 12/8/2017, 8:04 am
- Re: Irish Flag poll - TheHat 12/8/2017, 8:03 am
- Re: Irish Flag poll - runtothehills 12/8/2017, 12:07 am
- Re: Irish Flag poll - Browny 11/8/2017, 10:47 pm
- Re: Irish Flag poll - Imposter 11/8/2017, 10:15 pm
- Re: Irish Flag poll - Dave - March Org 11/8/2017, 10:12 pm
- Re: Irish Flag poll - Edgeley Blue 11/8/2017, 9:15 pm
- Re: Irish Flag poll - Royal Blue 11/8/2017, 9:12 pm
- Re: Irish Flag poll - BillyByrne 11/8/2017, 8:28 pm
- Re: Irish Flag poll - topperscounty 11/8/2017, 8:08 pm
- Re: Irish Flag poll - Philcounty 11/8/2017, 7:32 pm
« Back to index | View thread »