[ Post a Response | Jerusalem Dreaming Message Board ]
Re: the roots
Posted by Jean-Daniel BREQUE on June 6, 2006, 5:30 am, in reply to "Re: the roots"
This quartet is indeed like a tapestry: try to follow a thread, and you're soon lost in the weave.|
I'm doing research right now, about chapter 7 of Nile Shadows. I managed to locate the (Thomas) Mann quote (it's from "Joseph and his Brothers", vol. 1), to learn a bit more about the Athanasian Creed, and what do I find on page 121? A dreadful pun/reference to Herman Hesse.
I hope I didn't miss more puns...
: Should EW ever achieve the literary status he
: deserves, an annotated Jerusalem Quartet
: would be pretty amazing. Hmm.
: --Previous Message--
: Geez. A scholar could spend years unpacking
: the historical and literary nods in
: Whittemore's novels. EW's historical
: worldliness is incomparable, and his use of
: that knowledge in fiction dwarfs similar
: attempts by Pynchon and DeLillo. But they
: attain literary fame? Go figure.
- the roots - jonathan December 11, 2001, 9:39 pm
- Re: the roots - Anne December 12, 2001, 2:50 pm
- Re: the roots - Mark Mueller April 13, 2002, 9:41 am
- Re: the roots - Jean-Daniel BREQUE May 31, 2006, 11:17 pm
- Re: the roots - Anne June 1, 2006, 1:03 pm
- Re: the roots - Jean-Daniel BREQUE June 3, 2006, 6:10 am
- Re: the roots - Joe June 6, 2006, 1:34 am
- Re: the roots - Joe June 6, 2006, 1:38 am
- Re: the roots - Jean-Daniel BREQUE June 6, 2006, 5:30 am
« Back to index | View thread »