Seeking SMITH - HUNDLEY - GRAHAM - PHELPS - MORGAN - WATTS - PRUITT - PREWITT - HILL - HAGAN -HAGANS - HAGGAN - HAGGANS - CAMPBELL - LOGAN - CLINE - WATTS - MOTLEY - COOKSEY - BOUCHER - with many associated families: ENDICOT - ENDICOTT - INDICUT - STRATTON - MURPHREE - HAMILTON - GOODRUM - LIGHTFOOT - SIMPSON - LAWSON - TATE - ARMSTRONG - all from ALLEN County - BARREN County - WARREN County - Kentucky and BRUNSWICK County - GREENSVILLE County - CULPEPER County - VIRGINIA and CASWELL County - ORANGE County - NORTH CAROLINA - and POSEY County INDIANA and LAWRENCE County - BOONE County MISSOURI
William SMITH, born circa 1795 where? VA or NC or SC?? died in Allen County Kentucky in 1833 - Will dated 25 May 1832 - proved 23 October 1833 - wife was Mary "Polly" GRAHAM, daughter of Green GRAHAM and Rachel CLINE. William SMITH married 15 November 1815 to Mary GRAHAM in Allen County KY. Mary Graham Smith born circa 1798 South Carolina? She died 1851 or 1852 in Allen County KY - Inventory taken 12 January 1852.
In 1818 William SMITH of Allen County KY sold land in POSEY County IND to Aaron INDICUT or ENDICOT with John WILLIAMS acting as his attorney in fact. William Smith bought land in Allen County KY in 1818 from John PEARL on Bays Fork.
Mary Graham, wife of William Smith, was daughter of Green GRAHAM born 1774-75 in ?? Pendleton District South Carolina OR North Carolina - Orange County?? Green Graham died 1838 in Allen County KY - he was a security for will of my ancestor, William SMITH. Green GRAHAM came to Allen County in 1815. He married Rachel CLINE in 1794 and he married secondly, Rachel SMITH (who was she?) on 22 May 1815 in Allen County KY. Green Graham was son of Edward GRAHAM Jr. The sister of Green Graham was Sarah GRAHAM who married in 1828 in Allen County to Young LOGAN. Young LOGAN was a son of Joshua LOGAN and Celia GRAHAM (married 1806 in Warren County). Young LOGAN died circa 1821 and his wife, Celia GRAHAM, was a sister of Edward Graham Jr. - Celia GRAHAM was born circa 1785 in South Carolina and married secondly, Absalom STRATTON in 1824 Allen County - in 1830 Absalom STRATTON was guardian of Nancy LOGAN, now ALLEN (married Lee ALLEN) (born circa 1808) and Clarace ( Clarissa ) LOGAN, orphan of Joshua LOGAN. Celia GRAHAM LOGAN also had a son Green GRAHAM LOGAN and Young LOGAN. A sister of Celia Graham was perhaps Tabitha GRAHAM who married J. Lane MURPHREE with permission signed by Green GRAHAM about 1806 in Warren County as well. Also another daughter of Green GRAHAM and sister of Mary GRAHAM (wife of William SMITH) was Charlotte GRAHAM, who married on 22 Feb 1825 in Allen County KY to Levi HAGANS - they later moved to BOONE County, MO. Levi HAGANS was a son of Hugh HAGANS and Jean HAMILTON (see below) and a brother to Campbell HAGANS who married Nancy C. SMITH (see below).
William SMITH and Mary GRAHAM had the following children:
1) Sanford M (Sandford) Smith who married 1851 to Mary PHELPS and secondly, in 1859 to Mary Jane MORGAN; Sanford M. SMITH was an agent and attorney in fact for Gabriel BOUCHER in a land deed in 1842 in Allen County, KY (see Gabriel BOUCHER - below) Sanford M. SMITH died in Allen County KY in 1864.
2) Zachariah SMITH - born circa 1816 - who married in 1841 in Allen County to Rhoda WATTS and had three sons - J. W. SMITH (born 1842); D. SMITH (born 1844) and E. E. SMITH (born 1849) - (1850 Census Allen County KY)
4) Obediah H (HAGAN or HAGEN or HAGIN) SMITH - married in 1838 by Rev. Hugh HAGAN or HAGANS in Allen County KY to Martha PRUITT or PREWITT - daughter of ABRAHAM PRUITT and MAHALA HILL - My ancestor, Obediah H. SMITH moved to LAWRENCE County Missouri - his daughter, Mahala SMITH married William HUNDLEY in Lawrence County (my ancestors)
5) Julia Ann SMITH (born circa 1831) - married in 1858 by B. M. Herrington to Lee A. LOGAN (born circa 1837 and died 1901), son of Young LOGAN and Sarah GRAHAM (they married 1828 Allen County) - in the 1889 will of Sarah Graham LOGAN of Warren County KY, she mentions only sons, Lee A. Logan and Joseph T. LOGAN, and appointed her friend, H. C. SMITH, as Executor - (who was he? - see below also) - Julia Ann Smith Logan died 1887 in Allen County, buried Cooksey Smith Cemetery, Allen Springs, KY which is on land owned originally by Thomas Cooksey who married in Virginia to Nancy Mason GOODRUM. Was that in Brunswick or Greensville County Virginia? Thomas COOKSEY came to Warren County Kentucky on Trammel Fork of Drakes Cree in 1820, first owners of the OLD COOKSEY place, which is about one and one half miles south of the Warren County line. Their son, Thomas COOKSEY Jr. inherited the farm and he married his cousin, Eliza Parmelia ( Kitty ) GOODRUM, thus farm known as the "Kitty COOKSEY farm" and one of their daughters (who?) married Dr. H. C. SMITH (born 1843 - died 1910) - this Smith must be the H. C. SMITH who was executor of will of Julia Ann SMITH LOGAN. Dr. H C SMITH had a son, Herbert SMITH of Allen Springs, Allen County, who owned the Kitty Cooksey Farm, and his daughter was Lucille SMITH who married Mr. Pearl LIGHTFOOT. Is my ancestor, William SMITH who died in 1833 in Allen County, a relative? of Dr. H. C. SMITH of the COOKSEY FARM in Allen County KY (formerly Warren County) and is William SMITH and wife, Mary GRAHAM SMITH also buried in the COOKSEY SMITH cemetery there on the old COOKSEY place?
6) Sylvester married 1854 to Rebecca Ellen MOTLEY
7) Matilda SMITH (born circa 1833) married in 1848 in Allen County to Carmedo P. LOGAN and they had Amanda LOGAN, born (circa 1849); he married secondly, Lucinda (who?) and had B. Y. LOGAN (born circa 1859) and others.
Elizabeth SMITH, born in 1784 in Virginia (where?), was married about 1800 to William HAGAN or HAGANS, who was a son of John HAGANS and Elizabeth CAMPBELL. William HAGAN and wife, Elizabeth SMITH HAGANS had children: John SMITH HAGANS, Samuel CAMPBELL HAGANS, William BOYD HAGANS, James HAGANS, Hugh C. HAGANS, Nancy A. HAGANS, and Clarissa A. HAGANS ------Rev. Hugh HAGAN was the minister who married my ancestor, Obediah H (HAGAN?) SMITH to Martha Prewitt in 1838 in Allen County KY. Could Elizabeth SMITH be a relative of my ancestor, William SMITH of Allen County KY?
Nancy C. SMITH who was born circa 1793 in South Carolina? was married by Rev. Hugh HAGANS on 7 Nov 1814 in Warren County KY to Campbell HAGAN, son of Hugh HAGAN and Jean HAMILTON. Campbell HAGAN or HAGANS and wife, Nancy C. SMITH HAGAN had: Smith HAGAN, James R. HAGAN, R. C. HAGAN, and Nancy J. HAGAN. They eventually moved to BOONE County MO. Could Nancy C. SMITH be a relative of my ancestor, William SMITH of Allen County (formerly Warren County) KY?
A Sally SMITH married Samuel HAGANS on 11 March 1811 in Barren County?? KY - who was she?
There was a Henry SMITH who was born circa 1786 in Virginia (where?) who is found in the 1850 Census of Boone County Missouri in household of Sanford and Mary SMITH. Sanford SMITH was born 1812 in KY and their children were: William W. SMITH (born 1838 in Missouri), Jeremiah SMITH (born 1840), Thomas SMITH (born 1842), Sidney SMITH (born 1845) and Julia SMITH (born 1847). Sanford SMITH was born circa 1812 in KY. My William SMITH of Allen County had a son also named Sanford M. SMITH who married a PHELPS and a MORGAN in Allen County KY where he died.
There is another ?? Zachariah SMITH in Allen County Ky in Order Book 1850 whereby Robert J. FOSTER was appointed guardian of minors, Virginia Mary Elizabeth SMITH, Robert FOSTER SMITH, Zachariah K. Smith and Martha Frances SMITH - are they related to ABOVE family?
There is a George Rudolphus SMITH in Smith Township, POSEY County, IND. - he received a Land grants in 1835, 1838, 1839 and 1849 in POSEY County IND. - George R. SMITH was born in 1772 in Caswell County OR Orange County North Carolina, and died 1840 POSEY County, IND - Smith Township was named after him. - According to Ancestry.com he was a son of Peter SMITH and Jemima SIMPSON - Peter SMITH died circa 1797 in Caswell County NC Is George R. SMITH or any of his many brothers, namely: James SIMPSON SMITH, Robert SMITH, John BAILEY SMITH, Elias SMITH, William WIGGINTON SMITH, Presley WHEELER SMITH, Aaron FAIRFAX SMITH, Moses F. SMITH, Jesse W. SMITH or Elijah SMITH related to ABOVE family? According to Rootsweb.com George R. SMITH had at least one son named, Zachariah or Zacariah SMITH (born 1805) who married Francis LAWSON and one of their 14 children, namely Silas SMITH (born 1849) married Lucinda ENDICOTT in POSEY County IND. - THIS is where my William SMITH owned and sold land in 1818 to Aaron ENDICOT or ENDICOTT or INDICUT while living in Allen County KY.
Also a Gabriel BOUCHER, who was a son of Peter BOUCHER of Loudoun County, VA and his (Gabriel) wife, Mary SMITH who were living in Allen County KY in 1818 also sold land in POSEY County IND. Gabriel BOUCHER was born circa 1777 in Loudoun County VA or Warren County KY who married Mary SMITH 24 Sept 1819 in Warren County KY. Mary SMITH was perhaps a daughter of John SMITH Sr. of Allen County KY, perhaps a BROTHER? of my William SMITH of Allen County KY who also sold land in Posey County IND the same year? And according to the 1886 History of POSEY County Indiana, George R. SMITH married Lydia or Jenny TATE and 5 years later moved to Kentucky where she died. He then married Sarah ARMSTRONG in 1810 and in 1812 moved back to POSEY County IND.
« Back to index