Re: Woodwind fundamentals - What are your secrets?
Posted by Brass Guy on 9/4/2018, 2:39 pm, in reply to "Woodwind fundamentals - What are your secrets?"
It's amazing what lengths kids will go to to make poor setups work. |
For clarinets, in sectionals, I double-check reeds, then check reed placement and ligature placement. I still have kids put their ligs on upside down, even as tenth graders. They simply don't pay attention.
I also do a mouthpiece/barrel check, complete with wiggle (to ensure teeth anchor on the top and no double-lipping) on every clarinet player to make sure they understand what the standard is.
95% of my kids' issues with sound on clarinet come from poor reeds, poor placement, or poor embouchure. The other 5% comes from poor finger technique, which I watch like a hawk during warmup scales.
It never fails, though. There's always at least one kid who comes in with a grey, chipped reed, and say "this one's good enough - it's my best reed." No, little one, it's not your best reed, and you're lying to yourself. Would you play a reed like that out of the box? Then don't play it now.