Re: Need a job, but this one worries me.
Posted by Not shady on 6/8/2018, 2:08 pm, in reply to "Re: Need a job, but this one worries me."
Administration officials will offer the job to someone else without even withdrawing the verbal offer from the first individual. Plus thereís the 45 day rule as well. Until Administration wants to hold themselves to a high ethical standard, thereís no reason to do the same. |
To the OP. Take the offer. Interview at the other jobs. If you get offered a position at one of the other schools then youíre in a good position. Itís better to have multiple options than none.
Things to think about:
If you turn it down, and the other schools don't make you an offer, what's the backup plan?
The (somewhat shady) option is to accept the job, then go ahead and take the other interviews. If you get offered a better job, call and rescind your offer. After all, nothing's official until paperwork is signed and the board approves. This could burn some bridges if people find out what you did. What are the chances that anyone at the offered job will talk to people at the other schools about you? I'd say slim to none, unless they're in the same district or they're drinking pals. I know people talk, but you're not likely to come up in conversation.
Maybe I'm cynical, but I've been burned before on job offers. Look out for yourself (and your family) and do the best you can to get the best situation.
I interviewed for a position yesterday. I didn't do very well in the interview, and as the interview went on the position was rapidly becoming less and less appealing, and that there was at that point about a 25% chance I would take it if they made an offer.
Early this afternoon, they called me with an offer. I asked to think about it and let them know on Monday morning. They were cool about that.
I get the feeling that I was the only one they interviewed. I do have a couple of interviews elsewhere already lined up next week, but they are all after Monday. They are all more appealing positions. As I said, the offer that is on the table is not that great, and the chances of me being happy there to stay longer than a year or two are very low...but it is a job. I am leaning towards turning it down, and taking my chances with the other positions that I have interviews for.
What would you do if you woke up and were in my shoes?