[ Post a Response | The Yellow Board ]
Re: Moving From Band to Orchestra
I did exactly this. I’d be happy to discuss it with you and give you some thoughts. My email is email@example.com.
I'm seriously considering making the move from band to orchestra. I've got all the highly recommended method books ("ASTA String Curriculum", Hamann/Gillespie "Strategies for Teaching Strings", "String Syllabus" by Litrell, "Teaching Stringed Instruments In Classes" by Green, etc). My question for those who have actually made the move from band to orchestra are this:
- How proficient were you at playing all of the string instruments when you applied/accepted first made the switch?
- If you were not proficient at all of then, which one or ones did you focus on?
- How did you convince the principal/DFA to hire a "non-orchestra" person?
- Did you go middle school/elementary (beginning orchestra) or high school? Head or assistant?
- How much did you invest (instrument(s), lessons, etc) in your stringed instrument training before you applied/accepted your first orchestra position?
Music is music. I can teach that in my sleep. That is not the problem. My problem is being able to demonstrate technique and tone on the stringed instruments.