1. Are you a student or parent? If so, GET OFF THIS BOARD!!
Assuming you are an assistant director:
2. Did you mention this to the DOB, including pointing out the difficulties this practice creates?
3. Did you point out the way the section leaders and new alternates feel about this, or did you assume they share your feelings.
4. Are you genuinely trying to help the DOB? (Do you honestly want him/her to be successful?)
5. Do you think the new alternates were surprised about their being designated alternates? (Most were not at all surprised.)
6. Are you speaking to the new alternates about their continuing contribution to the band, encouraging them to "hang in there," and helping them improve? If so, are you keeping your disagreement with the DOB's methods a private matter?
7. Is this a big deal in the overall picture or just one more issue that gives you an opportunity to contribute to the DOB's and the band's success?
May you have a great year of doing all you can to make the band (and DOB) successful.