Re: Who are we and what is the link?
Posted by Bjarne Birkrem on 31/5/2008, 1:45:36, in reply to "Who are we and what is the link?"
Quite a brain-teaser, this one... |
I have and idea that the link has to do with the name Alexander.
I have some suggestions for the solution:
1. Not sure, but possibly Alexander I of Epirus He spent some years at the court of Philip II of Macedonia, the father of Alexander the Great, and later deposed his uncle Arymbas and succeeded to the throne of Epirus with Philip's help (all this information courtesy of Wikipedia - ancient Greek history is really a topic I know very little about...). No idea whether his stay in Macedonia had anything to do with his being a hostage, though...
2. Could it be Aleksander Popov, Russian swimmer and gold medalist in several Olympics and World Championships? (Of course, my natural modesty prevents me from suggesting the Norwegian swimmer Alexander Dale Oen, who is hardly world famous, in spite of winning one gold medal in the European Championship this year...)
3. Alexander I of Scotland (named after Pope Alexander II)
8. Alex Salmond, First Minister of Scotland
: 1. I am a King. I spent ten years as a hostage
: in a neighbouring country. After I was
: released, I deposed my uncle with help from
: the country were I had been a prisoner.
: 2. I am not a Royal at all, but I am known
: all over the world. I like to swim.
: 3. I am a King. I was named after the Pope.
: One chronicler described me as "a
: lettered and godly man."
: 4. I was only King for a short time. I
: succeeded my stepfather, whose name is very
: well known.
: 5. Now we are searching for a village, with
: a famous inn, where an even more famous poet
: wrote a wellknown poem.
: 6. Not far from the village in #5, you will
: find a castle. What is its name?
: 7. I was a King for 15 years. I had to fight
: against invaders from far away, and I was
: killed fighting them.
: 8. I am not a Royal, but I am kind of a
: Prime Minister. My country's independence is
: my main goal.
: Who/what are we, and what is the link?
Message Thread | Skip to this response ↓|
- Who are we and what is the link? - Robert 30/5/2008, 23:29:33
- The answers so far - Robert 5/6/2008, 8:53:56
- #7 - Alpha 4/6/2008, 13:27:13
- #6. - Alpha 4/6/2008, 13:23:37
- #5 - Alpha 4/6/2008, 13:21:43
- Some clues - Robert 3/6/2008, 21:27:06
- Re: #2. - Alpha 31/5/2008, 17:18:48
- Re: #2. - Robert 1/6/2008, 21:25:52
- #1. - Alpha 31/5/2008, 17:13:14
- Re: #4 - Alpha 31/5/2008, 14:24:45
- Re: Who are we and what is the link? - Bjarne Birkrem 31/5/2008, 1:45:36
« Back to index