So far, José and Robert have identified the following 9 out of 13:
1. Christoffer of Bavaria, King of Denmark, Sweden and Norway
2. Maximilian II, King of Bavaria
5. George VI, King of the UK
6. Mary II, Queen of England and Scotland
7. Elisaveta, Empress of Russia
8. Carl XIII/II, King of Sweden and Norway
10. Carl X Gustaf, King of Sweden
12. Carl IX, King of Sweden
13. Boris III, King (Tsar) of Bulgaria
Here are some additional hints about the remaining four:
3. I said that my aunt was the last female monarch so far(?). If the laws of my country are changed, we are likely to have another female monarch in the foreseeable future.
4. I am the earliest of all the 13 people in this quiz. Even though I was the elder son, my younger brother succeeded to one of my father's thrones, while I was still only a prince. I was not too pleased about this.
9. First of all, let me repeat that my grandson is also in this quiz - and he is one of the nine that have already been identified. Secondly, my predecessor had several thrones, and I only succeeded him on one of those (having been among the people responsible for deposing him).
11. I succeeded my brother, and was in turn succeeded by another brother. My reign was too short for me to make much of an impact, but I had a magnificent ancestor by the same name.
I think I'll leave you to figure out these extra clues before I provide a hint about the link...
: 13 monarchs with something in common:
: 1. I was king of three countries. After my
: death, my widow married my successor.
: 2. I had two sons, both of whom succeeded me
: on the throne. One was at best rather
: eccentric, the other was clearly insane and
: incapable of ruling.
: 3. My predecessor, my aunt, was the last
: female monarch of my country (so far??). I
: had no direct heir, so I adopted a distant
: relative who succeeded me.
: 4. I was a king, and I married the daughter
: of an emperor. My wife and I both died very
: young. I probably died of the plague, while
: my wife died either of the plague or giving
: birth to our stillborn son.
: 5. I succeeded to the throne rather
: unexpectedly and very reluctantly, but my
: wife gave me valuable support.
: 6. I reigned jointly with my spouse after my
: father had to leave.
: 7. I was an empress who never produced an
: heir. I was officially unmarried, but I may
: have married my lover secretly. My nephew
: who succeeded me didn’t last long.
: 8. I was old and already senile when I came
: to the throne. Moreover, I was childless, so
: the Parliament had to elect my successor -
: twice, since the first one died very soon.
: 9. I reigned in an empire, but I never had
: the coronation that would have given me the
: most prominent title. More than three
: centuries would pass before someone from my
: house sat on this throne again. My grandson
: is also in this quiz.
: 10. I was the first king of my dynasty when
: I succeeded my cousin. During my brief
: reign, my kingdom was considerably enlarged.
: 11. Before my accession, I had spent most of
: my life in confinement, and when some people
: came to inform me of my accession, I thought
: at first that they were going to murder me.
: My health was not good, and my reign was
: rather short.
: 12. I was a king, and my father’s youngest
: son. Two of my elder brothers had also been
: on the throne before me. Like #9, I also
: have a grandson somewhere in this quiz.
: 13. I was a king who died unexpectedly,
: shortly after returning from a meeting with
: a foreign Head of State. Some people believe
: I had been poisoned.
: Same procedure as every year, James... - who
: are we, and what is the link?
Message Thread | This response ↓
« Back to index