1. I've always heard weed spraying is dangerous close to palms. There are palms all over my mulch beds.
2. By organic matter, what are my options? With pine needles here come fire ants. I'm mildly allergic to fire ants. Now I use black mulch. My neighbors on both sides and across the street use pine needles.
3. Is the landscape fabric retarding the growth on the palms I have in the beds already? They've been there for years but this is the first or maybe second time I've had fabric laid down. The one mulch bed where I don't have fabric is now a lawn of Bermuda grass.
4. Does landscape fabric protect at all for cold hardiness?
5. Does it cause root rot because I am watering at the base of each palm and it can't evaporate from the surrounding ground?